8/14/14

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

My rating: ★★★★
Genre: romance, contemporary, young adult.
Series: Anna And the French Kiss #2

Blurb from Goodreads:

Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the negihborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

My review:

“Just because something isn’t practical doesn’t mean it’s not worth creating. Sometimes beauty and real-life magic are enough.”
I loved this book a lot! Stephanie is an excellent contemporary writer. I read Anna and the French Kiss two weeks ago and I immediately ordered this one. I was very excited for this book and I heard a few times that the story of Lola was even better than Anna. I was certainly not disappointed.

“Perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring.”
I smile. “You don’t think I’m perfect?”
"No. You’re delightfully screwy, and I wouldn’t have you any other way.”

Lola is a very interesting character. First I didn’t really get why she would dress in this weird/very colorful costumes and I could relate to her. But towards the middle of the story I started to understand her more and more. Lola is very funny, down to earth and very creative. I loved her personality. I also liked her dads (as in gay dads). They were so funny and I especially liked Andy with his pies :D

“I know you aren’t perfect. But it’s a person’s imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”
This brings me to Cricket… Man, characters like him are the reason why I’m so picky in guys. I mean, seriously. Cricket is gorgeous, tall, funny, caring and super sweet! All the things he did for her made me squeal :D Oh! I just love him!! The little story he told her in the end was per-fect! ♥

“He’s so into you,” Anna says.
“Cricket’s a nice guy. He’s always been like that.”
“Then he’s always been into you.”

I also savored all the appearances of Anna and Etienne. Gosh, I missed those two! And the way they helped Lola was so heartwarming. I loved the advice they gave Lola about making mistakes and being in a relationship. Excellent example of character development!! 

“Sometimes a mistake isn’t a what. It’s a who.”
Conclusion: this was an amazing book. The ending was perfect. I’m very pleased how everything turned out with all the characters. I totally recommend it! But I don’t suggest reading this book before Anna. There aren’t spoilers about Anna and the French Kiss, but it will make you like this book even more.

By the way: I love how Stephanie uses caps lock in her books. It made me laugh out loud a few times, because it gives a great aspect to dialogs and what Lola thinks in her head. Amazing job!

"OHMYGOD. HE’S ONLY WEARING BOXER BRIEFS.
DON’T STARE AT HIS BODY. DO NOT STARE AT HIS BODY.”




View this on Goodreads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment