8/31/14

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

My rating: ★★★★★
Genre: young adult, dystopia, romance, chick-lit.
Series: The Selection #1

Blurb from Goodreads:

In a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels the Selection is the chance of a lifetime: to compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's ear. But for America Singer it means turning her back on her secret love, and leaving home for a prize she doesn't want.
Then America meets Maxon and all her plans start to crumble. Can the life she's always dreamed of compare to a future she never imagined?
 
My review:

“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”
This series is one of the most popular on my Goodreads feed. I knew I would like this book, but I ended up LOVING this book and reading it in two sittings. I have to admit: I was a little scared this was going to be a very girly book. But I was so wrong.

“Do you think, that I could still call you 'my dear'?”

Immediately from the start you are introduced to the world where the main character, America Singer, lives in. How the city works, the ranks between the people, … is amazing. I love it! I didn’t expected this book to be a little dystopian. The combination of the romance and the dystopian aspect of this book is very refreshing and surprisingly good. It kind of reminded me of The Hunger Games, only without all the deaths and with more royalty. There is also a little mystery in this book and I liked it a lot! It makes me so curious for the next books!

“It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you from being awesome.”

America Singer is an amazing character. I could immediately connect with her and I was completely sucked into her world. She’s kind, funny and very brave. I admired her when she had to make big decisions (especially in the end). She’s very down to earth and I liked that a lot about her.

“I hit your thigh!”
“Oh, please. A man doesn't need that long to recover from a knee to the thigh.”


This brings me to the boys (there is a love triangle yes, but a good one!). Aspen is such a cutie! I like him, but I love Maxon even more. He is so elegant, a little awkward, sweet, funny and … agh I just love him *swoon*. Prince Maxon is definitely my favorite character of this book. I couldn't get enough of him. Whenever Maxon and America were together I was grinning like an idiot! :D I just couldn't help myself. I think I even squealed a few times haha! :D

“You get confused by crying women, I get confused by walks with princes.”

Anyway, the storyline of this book is amazing. It’s very royal, swoon-worthy and mysterious. I hope I’ll be able to purchase the next books soon, because that ending was not enough for me. I want more!!

 View this on Goodreads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment