11/30/14

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

My rating: ★★★★+0.5
Genre: young adult, paranormal, Greek mythology, romance.
Series: Covenant #1

Blurb from Goodreads:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is.

If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My review:

When I started this book I just knew I would like this series. Who doesn’t love JLA? Right? And who doesn’t love a badass main character and two sexy guys? I mean, come one! This is just 100 % ‘You will love this’-material!

“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.”

The books starts with an introduction of the kinds of Hematoi and their history and rules. First I was like ‘How the hell am I going to remember all of this?’, but then I noticed it’s like Vampire Academy. I bothered me a little in the beginning, but after a while I was thankful for it, because it helped me remember the ‘status’ of everyone and who could be with who.

“There is a difference between love and need. Sometimes, what you feel is immediate and without rhyme or reason.”

First of all: Alexandra, or Alex, is a freaking badass! I loved her! I don’t want to compare this to VA too much, but she reminded me of Rose. She is determined and she stood up for herself. She’s been through one hell of a time, but she was still so strong. I just loved her.

Then he leaned forward and rested his cheek against mine. Hot tingles spread through me as his lips moved against my ear. "You should tell me to stop."
I didn't say a word.

And then, she meets Aiden. Ohmygoooood. HE. IS. FREAKING. HOT. I don’t think I need to say more? I’m so curious how Aiden and Alex are going to handle their… feelings. Oh, I’m SO excited!

Seth glanced back over his shoulder at the door. “Alex, you’re starting to worry me. Insult me… or something.”

Oh, but there’s also Seth. *sighs* He’s funny and I couldn’t get enough of him! I’m actually kind of glad he will have to spent a lot of time with Alex, because I cannot wait for them to work together with all that .. tension *squeals internally* between them!

“It was just a hug, but gods, it meant so much. It meant everything.”

This book has everything a paranormal (romance) series needs to have! It has a lot of action, Greek mythology, interesting/badass characters, a great plot and two sexy guys.
This book is the start of for this series. It has a lot of potential and I cannot wait to find out more about everything. I think I’m going to marathon this whole series! :D

“Need covers itself with love, but need… need is never love. Always beware of the one who needs you. There is always a want behind a need, you see.”

And now you’re probably wondering why I’m not giving it 5 stars? To be honest, I don’t know. I just feel like this isn’t worth a full 5 stars, because I’m sensing one of the next books in this series will blow me away. And I think that book will deserve the full 5 stars. Does this make sense? I hope it does :D


No comments:

Post a Comment