11/20/14

Review: The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

My rating: ★★★★+0.5
Genre: romance, new adult, mystery, drama.
Series: Love Me With Lies #1

Blurb from Goodreads:

Olivia Kaspen is a sharp tongued manipulator used to always getting what she wants. With just one exception-Caleb Drake, the one she foolishly let slip away. After a chance encounter brings Caleb back into her life, Olivia finds herself wanting a second chance with her first love, and asking herself how far she is willing to go to get him back. Her only problem is a red head named Leah, Caleb's new love. Olivia must fight for what was once hers, and in the process discover that sometimes love falls short of redemption.

My review:

“I think that after the first time you give your heart away, you never get it back. The rest of your life is just you pretending that you still have a heart.”

I've been putting of writing this review, because honestly? I don't even know where to start. 
After I finished reading this, my feelings were all over the place.

I shared on Instagram that I was reading this book and someone commented:
"Do you take anti-depressant pills? Because you are going to need them after finishing this book."
AND SHE WAS RIGHT! This book is messed up in so many ways... and I still liked it. I don't even understand why. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I read the whole book in one day! Almost in one-sitting!!

“I have finally accepted that there are consequences to every action. I earned them and they are rightfully mine. There is no time to make bad decisions. Every step is precious. The definition of living is mine.”

The characters and the story are way more complex than I thought. Almost all of them did terrible things and have a pretty 'dark' past. Whenever something was revealed, I was like 'what the heeeeeeeeeeeeelllllll?!'

I was very intrigued by the blurb, so I was very excited to read this one. But I never expected this roller-coaster of feelings. I've never felt so many different emotions while reading a book: chock, happiness, sadness, ...

“Handsome, fictional men were so much easier to stomach than real life ones who smelled of Christmas and looked like a Calvin Klein model.”

When you start this book, you are obviously wondering why Olivia and Caleb broke up, and Tarryn wrote this book in a way that it will keep you guessing until near the ending. And then there's this plot twist and it just blows up in your face.

And the ending? So good! I'm very happy how it turned out! I think for most people it is unexpected!

“You changed everything. I was so frightened of losing you that I did everything in my power to drive you away. I thought that if I didn't, eventually you would see that you were wasting your time with me and leave anyway.”

This book makes you think a lot about life-choices by the way. While I was reading it, I was sometimes very chocked about Olivia's choices. And then I thought: "What if it was me? What would I've done?" And I don't know. So in some way, I admired the choices she and the other characters did.

I know this review is very vague, but trust me, if I need to start mentioning all the things I think, I could write a book myself. So, just go read it, I promise you, it is so worth it. Your mind will be blown away. It's a very original, suspenseful and contemporary read. 

"Life is all about choices, I decide - good ones, bad ones and selfish ones."

View this on Goodreads here.

No comments:

Post a Comment